4.23.2009

Writer's Workshop-Book Review

This is my first time doing Writer's Workshop, hosted by the lovely MamaKat at Mama's Losin' It
If you have never checked out her blog, now is the time, she is HILARIOUS!!!
Now on to the work shop, each week she gives different prompts and it gives us something to write about! This week #1 stood out to me and since I have been meaning to do one of these for months I decided to start with this one!
#1 Book review!
Too perfect since I recently finished the book Escape.

This is an eye opening non-fiction book written wonderfully by Carolyn Jessop. This is her story. She was born into the FLDS and polygamist lifestyle. She writes about her life, her abuse, her giving birth to 8 children after marrying a man, many years older than her, as his 4th wife. After 17 years and 3 more wives she escapes with her children. It is actually a very disturbing book, to know there are actually people out there living there lives under such control and abuse. So many of the FLDS members are brainwashed, intimidated and isolated. As girls are being married off younger and younger it is shameful that more has not been done to save these children. Thankfully the FLDS prophet Warren Jeffs was imprisoned, but he still leads these people today from his cell.
I do not want to give a whole lot away in case you would like to read it, but I definitely recommend it.
I have enjoyed the show "Big Love" on HBO and I have to say the truth behind these books are so far from the show! The reality is truly frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment